Overview of eVolve Colorizer
The eVolve Colorizer allows users to create element filters to set and/or clear element colors in select views based on user-defined conditions.
Tool Palette buttons
- Refresh Current View - used to re-run the Colorizer rules on the current active view.
- Refresh Full Project - used to re-run the Colorizer rules on the entire project view.
- Export Rules - used to transfer Colorizer rules to another project.
- Import Rules - used to bring in Colorizer rules from another project.
- Run Order - used to define the sequence in which the rules are executed, 1 is 1st, 2 is 2nd, 3 is 3rd, etc.
- Rule Name - used to apply a label to a Colorizer rule.
- Description - used to provide additional information about the Colorizer rule.
- Group - used to assign a category/type to a Colorizer rule.
- Sub Group - used to a subset of a group/category to a Colorizer rule.
- Element Filter - used to define the categories and optional conditions, which elements and their parameters are filtered against.
- View Filter - an embedded selection filter used to define optional conditions for the Views that the Colorizer rule runs.
- Enabled - if unchecked, the rule is disabled and will not run.
- Execute On - defined when/how the Colorizer rule runs.
- Manual Only - the rule will only run when either the Refresh Current View or Refresh Full Project button is manually clicked.
- Any Update - the rule runs when any change to the drawing is made.
- New Element Creation - the rule will only run when an element is placed on the drawing area.
- Existing Element Change - the rule runs when an existing element is modified.
- Run in Second Pass - indicates whether the rule runs after all other processing has been completed, see below for more information.
- Foreground Color - a color picker used to define the color of the surface foreground, cut foreground, and line color.
- Foreground Pattern - defines the pattern used when applying the foreground color to the surface and the cut foreground.
- Background Color - a color picker used to define the color of the surface and the cut background.
- Background Pattern - defines the pattern used when applying the background color to the surface and the cut background.
- Clear Colorizer - a checkbox used to indicate whether or not the rule is used to clear graphics override settings applied by the Colorizer rule instead of setting them.
Record Navigator buttons
- Add - used to add a new row to the grid.
- Delete - used to delete selected row(s).
- Duplicate - used to duplicate selected rows.
- Export Grid - exports the grid as currently displayed to Excel.
Creating a Colorizer rule
- From the eVolve ribbon, in the Utilities menu, click Colorizer.
- From the Colorizer window, in the grid, select a cell from the Click here to add a new row and specify the following:
- Rule Name - the name does not have to be unique as you may utilize Description, Group, and Sub Group to further distinguish it from other profiles.
- Element Filter - defines the elements the colorizer rule will color.
- View Filter - when defining the View Filter, select the Views category and any optional conditions the view(s) must adhere to in order to run the colorizer rule.
- Run Order - automatically assigned if undefined.
- Description - blank if left undefined.
- Group - blank if left undefined.
- Sub Group - blank if left undefined.
- Enabled - the default state is unchecked, remember to check this option or the rule will not run.
- Execute On - the default value is Manual Only if left undefined.
- Run in Second Pass - the default state is checked.
- Background Color - the default values are RGB 0,0,0 / HSB 0,0,0 / HEX #000000 if left undefined.
- While a no color value(like the default value) may be the desired result, remember to define a color if the intent of the rule is to color an element.
- Background Pattern -the default value is [EditValue is null] if left undefined.
- Typically set to <Solid fill>, especially when using a Foreground Color and Pattern, even when the rule is "enabled" if a value for either the Foreground Pattern and/or Background Pattern is not set, it will appear as if the rule is disabled.
- Foreground Color - the default values are RGB 0,0,0 / HSB 0,0,0 / HEX #000000 if left undefined.
- If the Foreground Pattern is not defined, the Foreground Color is not applied.
- Foreground Pattern - the default value is [EditValue is null] if left undefined.
- Typically set to a pattern other than <Solid fill>, especially when using a solid Background.
- Clear Colorizer - the default state is unchecked.
- After the Required and Optional fields are defined, click Apply. The new row is added to the grid.
Run in Second Pass
The Run in Second Pass option gives users the option to run rules after Revit and eVolve have completed processing instead of before. Basically, if the Run in Second Pass option is unchecked when a rule runs and the expected elements are not colored, check the Run in Second Pass option.
NOTE: If the same parameter is being changed in both the first pass and second pass the updating of the second pass parameter(s) change will fail, throwing an error. However, parameters may be changed multiple times in the same pass.
Tips and Tricks
- To revert the Color and/or Pattern to their default state, click the desired cell, then press Ctrl + Del