Overview of the eVolve Family Browser
The eVolve Family Browser
The eVolve Family Browser is designed to easily locate content based on family parameter values. Families may be grouped, filtered, and/or searched to to limit content and fine tune the displayed results. Expand functionality by adding custom libraries which may reside on a local machine or company network.
The eVolve Family Browser is a dock-able window. The window's size and location is remembered for future sessions. Typically, the browser is placed on a secondary monitor to easily access content.
The eVolve Family Browser has two different view types, Card View and Grid View. The Card view displays information about each family and/or type contained within the library, however the displayed information is limited by predetermined fields. The Grid View has the ability to display all of the information contained on the card view and also the metadata extracted from the .xlsx file at the time the library was created. Please see the following article for more information on using grids in eVolve.
The All, Favorites, and Recent tabs
eVolve allows cards to be organized in three tabs, All, Favorites, and Recent. The All tab shows every card in the library. Cards can easily added to the Favorites tab by right-clicking on a card and clicking Yes on the Confirmation window. Once clicked, cards appear in the Recent tab, the Recent tab displays 20 cards.
Filtering and Grouping Cards
The eVolve Family Browser's filtering and grouping features displays cards to quickly find relevant content.
Searching in the Card View
The eVolve Family Browser's search feature is a powerful tool to quick zero in on specific content. The search tool may be used in conjunction with the filter and grouping features or may search all libraries.
Defining and Creating a Custom Library
eVolve Mechanical version 2.4 and newer, ships with predefined content, that is continually being updated. However, you may also add your own content that can be filtered, grouped, sorted, and searched with the eVolve Family Browser.
- A folder structure containing all content(.xml, .xlsx, .rfa, and .png files). See article.
- In order to create a custom library, an Excel file containing all the desired families and types must exist.
The Excel file may be created:
- through the eVolve Family Browser – this method utilizes a folder structure
- through a Revit schedule – this method utilizes a project containing all families and types
- manually define – this method utilizes a manually populated template - Blank Excel Template
- Once the Excel file is defined, place the Excel(.xlsx) file in the root of the directory containing the .rfa files.
- Point eVolve to the proper directory to generate a .xml file. See article.